Monday, March 23, 2009

There is HOPE

Finally after infinitely busy three months, I am here again. This was the perfect last semester as I planned - Full on music, no studying, bunking classes, and what not. Well the semester started off with GOONJ- Inter hostel hindi band competition in which we came 2nd (out of 13 hostels)- we perfomed sinbad the sailor and old om shaanti om. Like last year this time also the crowd went mad. Well after the GOONJ there was SWAR SANDHYA - an event where singers and instrumentalists come together and perform 20-25 songs in one night. But for that to happen smoothly we started decision making and practices one month before the main event. SURBAHAAR and SWAR SANDHYA are one of the few good things that happened to me in IIT. Though it was infected with politics later on but I somehow clinged on to it- only for my love towards music. As it was my last ever swar sandhya so I dedicated wholly towards it- though my own songs were only two - Paighaam laya saawan and baawre(luck by chance), but I participated in other practices too.Even gave proxy for many singers. Helped singers improve. Participated in chorus for many songs. Finally the day before the main event I found out I was involved in 10 songs out of the 19 songs to be performed. I played rhythm guitars for kaisi paheli , bass for sa re ga ma , bass for jai jai shiv shankar, chorus for dekho na, chorus for vande maataram, chorus for madhbanti etc... I was the happiest person on earth. No fourth year person was so much enthu for it. No one believed a fourthie can have so much enthu. After the event was over- everything came back in my mind- the first time I performed, the small memories, the people involved. Some of us went out and sat with a guitar and enjoyed late onto night for one last time. One of the main reason for the success of this event for me was I didn't expect anything from it, I just went and gave my best from heart. After these amazing two weeks of swar sandhya practices, it was time for PAF (Performing Arts festival). Those of you want to know more, can search wikipedia for it. Well my previous experiences with PAF has not been good at all- sometimes it is the politics that killed me or the extreme bad script that did. This year too, the script was not satisfactory to me in the beginning. First of all it was inspired from the movie -"Groundhog day". Then the script had infinite arbit sentences where the mood swings are so much that they appear as PJ's. So again my expectations were low. But after seeing the first PAF by hostel 5's group, I was confirmed we will not come last :P. Well before everything we were told to compose the music for it. Before I knew anything, someone senior in our group came up with a stolen composition. I was a bit disgusted- script not original, song not original. Then when I went to the music sittings- I was told that I can also be a tuner for the rest of the songs and all. I decided whatever I will make will be my own and not stolen. Well finally it appeared that the most catchy and original riff was by me, the most hopeful and sweet music which ended the paf was based on my chord pattern, the suicide song was based on my chord pattern, and many more. I was overwhelmed. Well on the final day of the PAF, we were ready to roll.
The PAF started horribly with the lighting people making terrible mistakes. But after that there was no looking back. They had modified the script. Everything was blending perfect, the lights, the dialogue, the music. Though I knew the script beforehand, I was enjoying and laughing like hell. Well luckily this time I was the lead singer, considering this was my one last chance to perform- I was lucky. Every other year I was buried in the soil of politics. The background music was going on smoothly and perfectly. When I heard those music pieces being performed in front of 2000 people, my eyes filled with tears of joy and anxiety as if so long I have waited to express myself with my music. There is one particular piece named - HOPE music, which I and the keyboardist composed together. Not only the people but the instrumentalists themselves commented - kya mast banaya hain yaar. I heard few people say that the piece was running in their minds even hours after the PAF. When everything was over, Srabasti (who was first angry on the fact that no girl is singing as she was handling the music too) came and congratulated on my singing and patted on my cheek, arbit people whom I didnt know came and hug me, as if they never knew I sing. The only people left to say anything were the people with whom I made the music and performed there. It never happened so I was not surprised. Later that night we went to a restaurant, well people were more focused on drinking than eating, but I somehow managed to eat only and fulfill my apetite.
23rd march was an incredible day - We cracked PAF, one of my very close friend got a job finally and that resulted in 100 percent placements from Electrical engineering, and one more thing happened for me which is incredible but I can't write here as it is a surprise for few people, so I don't want to spoil it.(not that a big deal but still).
I dont know how but first time in my life - things went exactly as I have planned. I had decided in the previous semester itself that I will enjoy the hell out of the last semester that too musically and yes it went exactly like that. I remember writing - picture abhi baaki hain - in some post in december or november.
I was happy during this last semester although I was too busy. It was like "Happyness in Busyness" (and yes Happ'y').
I saw many ways to spend the last semester and nothing could have been better than this. I believe when we think too much about life- we waste our time- instead we must go out there and actually live it and dont worry about what will happen. When we expect anything we create a liability to be unhappy when those expectations don't work out. Better is to expect nothing and do the work because all that matters it is the path and not the result, but there is HOPE.

PS:- There is Hope was the theme of the PAF.

3 comments:

Express said...

Love happened? huh?? HUH??
*nudges him* *pinches him*
TELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... :(

btw, I loved the post!
Appreciation
and well, when others recognize our work it feels good.

and when it is our passion involved,
thr is nothing like it!

kudos 2 u and ur score!!
I would like to hear :)

Soham Chakraborty said...

no re .. pagal hain kya love.. !!! it is just a confirmation of something u already know .. !!

Unknown said...

:)

I think you deserve it more than anyone else, because you're dedicated to what you do more than anyone I've seen, and it is this spirit, that of being original, and having our own say in things, that will make things happen.

Now I wish I saw that PAF.