Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Essay 1: If we were to admit one more student to the class of 2012, make a compelling argument as to why that student should be you? (300 words max)

A very simple and straightforward question, but the depth of this question is intangible. And for me to brag about myself, my achievements is something that is not in my genes.
I strongly believe in small accomplishments. They may not be visible but these seemingly small and insignificant achievements cause my neurons go crazy and pave the path for bigger achievements. May be work related or something as weird as giving a five rupee coin to a beggar, I never treat anything insignificant. Each one adds to our whole personality in its own unique way.
I am a quiet competitor, I don't like making noise. I will never tell anyone how difficult it is for someone to achieve something that I might have. I hate it. I let the opinions of others flow freely without any manipulation from my side. Well most of the times it causes people to think that I am shallow, unresponsive and insincere. They can hardly figure out what's going on inside. But,this doesn't mean that I never open up. I do sometimes, when it becomes unbearable. But the time interval between such moments keep on increasing each time because of my increased maturity and ability to handle such unbearable situations.
I am an analysis freak. I remember watching scooby dooby doo, CID, discovery channel's documentaries regarding Space and Universe, even Bermuda Triangle all throughout my childhood. I love solving problems, analyzing mysteries, predicting possible outcomes of a particular decision, no wonder I ended up as an "Analyst" in a consulting firm. People get irritated by this, they say "don't think so much". But I can't help it, this is who I am. I can't cut off one of my hands or legs if someone doesn't like it or gets irritated by it.
I never whine about more knowledge and more complexity. I am knowledge hungry and in fact I am at my efficient best when I have less work. I never let go any opportunity to gain any form of knowledge, be it related to my work or something as weird as mating habits of a particular type of chimpanzee in mid-Africa. I regularly watch the documentaries shown in discovery and national geographic channels. I love those. Another aspect to add here is that I focus not only on the learning but also on the method used in learning that new knowledge. Later, one day, I find analogies between chimpanzees and an Informatica mapping, and laugh about it. People ask me -"Why are you laughing?", and I say - " Nothing.."

4 comments:

All About Jillzy said...

very well put! a very humble and straightforward answer.

Unknown said...

did you get in?

Soham Chakraborty said...

Nope.. too less experience
(< 2 yrs ).. I got an interview call but didn't get the final offer..

Rolling said...

Hi Soham nice music and looking forward to interacting with Alok and his crowd once again, I have only just returend on WP and it wd be great if you guys start posting and interacting once again soon. When you have time drop in at my place and check out some of the recent stuff and let me know what you think "crap" is ok :) acceptable too . Please let alok know ? Cd not leave a comment at his blog bec of some problem